How do you describe this?
Last year, I was in San Francisco around Christmas time and just in time for a Renegade Craft Faire. My friend Rachel wanted to meet up with me. I asked her to meet me in Golden Gate Park for the fair. Her reply was, “really?” Really. She was amazed at the work being done. Plushies shaped like pancreas’, letterpress cards, cool stuff.
It was a nice coincidence that I was in the Bay Area again for her baby shower and Makers Faire– the Olympics of all things hacked, created, and made. Peter and I left early in the morning and as I left, I told my sister that I’d be home by 4 pm. There was no way I could last on my feet all day. I got back closer to 7pm and dragging. We nearly closed the place down. And we missed one entire building. Geesh.
Highlights, no particular order:
- Flaming Lotus Girls. I fawned. Peter bought me a tee shirt.
- The Mentos/Diet Coke Guys. So you don’t need to use Diet. They use it since it has no sugar and it’s not as sticky when they get covered in it. Mentos work because it was 40 layers of sugar coating. 40. Wow.
- The Craft Magazine booth. I was able to get advice on felting from an expert. Feeling less intimidated about starting that project.
- Steampunk. Creative group of people. Goth/Carnival/Period/Punk.
- My Imaginary Boyfriend. What an imagination!
- The Bike Stage. Powered by bikes, playing fun music. And watching the kids play.
- Getting so many stickers.
Planning a 2-day pass next year.