I had an idea to use wood and dye creating images on the wood like batik. Batik uses negative space and dye to make the image.
I found this blog post that helped me with the specifics. I used wood glue, painters tape, stencils, and dye from veggies and tea.
I loved this medium. I made several pieces and even sold a few.
Some of the things I learned:
- I experimented with different kinds of wood. Cheap plywood had the most interesting grain but the wood is very porous. The dye bled.
- Cabinet grade wood is nice, expensive and it took several layers to get a look.
- I’ve got more experimenting to do.
I am a connoisseur of the dumpster dive. I can spot a ‘beaut’ a block away, and Peter has developed a sense of when I’m going to pounce out of the truck and throw something in the back. (Most times he speeds up.)
This “great” chair was with its mate on the sidewalk. Unfortunately the mate didn’t make it. It had structural issues that were beyond my wood working abilities. This one was sound, comfy, and U-G-L-Y. I spent time with it trying to sand off the brown paint/stain. I had planned on painting it a nice tangerine color. Then I was working on another project with dye on wood and chose to try out what it would look like with the dye. I figured if it didn’t work out the tangerine paint is always an option.
Looks nice in my rustic backyard dining area. I lounge while Peter cooks for me.
As much as I loved the retro chandelier, it just didn’t go with my new table and chairs, which are a more of a rustic style. I spied this piece of wood in the garage that Peter was holding onto for an “art project.” Art Project is code for not-knowing-what-he’s-doing-with-it-but-will-not-throw-it-away. Using my wiles, I conned him out of it. I used hay-bale wire and Kerr canning jars. Cost was under $10.00. I love it!